Saturday 13 October 2012

INF 206

What's Positive about Social Media

While studying INF206 Social Networking for Information Professionals my mother passed away in the Intensive care Unit of a Melbourne Private Hospital.  This post is dedicated to her.
I’ve experienced, or been aware of, many sides of social media, good and not so good.  However, during a difficult period in my families and my life, people’s compassion shone through.
The main support came via Facebook friends as I have only been on Twitter a short time and I have a limited number of followers.  The Twitter messages I received mostly came from my sister’s followers as she is more active and been involved on Twitter for longer.
My Facebook friends were lovely and their support touching.  Women that I started primary school with and that knew Mum sent messages both openly and directly. I was astonished and deeply touched when one of these ladies came to my mother’s funeral.  I’ve known her for 42 years and last saw her 30 years ago.  These relationships remain, time and distance doesn’t change the bonds created so long ago. In an age where we have little free time, social media gives us the opportunity to stay in touch. Without it, I’d likely never talk to these childhood friends.
Work colleagues, friends, family friends and acquaintances all felt comfortable reaching out using social media.  I wonder if some of the people would have made contact if they had to communicate directly. For many people social media provides a safe environment to contact us, especially if they aren’t sure what to say. In my mother’s era one would have sent a card.
Either way sitting down each night after a long and stressful day, replying to the messages was, for me, good therapy.  This was a process I needed to go through and a way to distract myself from my families’ grief.
Bringing this back to the course content, Information Professionals can act as facilitators by participating in social networking and encouraging and educating the public regarding best practise.
It’s an exciting time for the Information profession. Libraries can take the lead and embrace social media dispelling the pre-conceived image of an old, boring and static library and engage in conversations with their members and the publishing world.  So let’s be innovative, progressive and lead from the front.  Promotes what’s positive about social media and provide an environment that’s inclusive and attempt to bridge the digital divide.

No comments: